How do I report recent damage?
In the SIXT App, you will find all reported damages of a vehicle. Just click on "Damages" after having reserved the vehicle to view those. Did you notice any new damage? Please report it in our damage reporting feature within the app. In addition, please inform the police in any case, regardless of whether it was self-inflicted or with third-party involvement. As a lessee you are obliged to ensure that all reasonable measures required for the mitigation and preservation of evidence are being taken. Please consult our T&C in order to familiarize yourself with the correct procedure in case of new damages.
What happens after a recent damage was reported?
If the customer detects any damage that has not yet been reported when booking one of our vehicles, we will record this damage. Our claims department will then write to the last renter, so that the cause of the damage can be clarified.
What should I do in case of an accident or a new damage during my rental?
We hope, that all persons involved in the accident are well. If this is not the case, please call the medical emergency service first.
In case of an accident or new damage please follow the procedure described here below:
- Every accident or new damage must categorically reported to the police, regardless of whether it was self-inflicted or with third-party involvement, also for pure property damages and if no third party is involved.
- As a lessee you are obliged to ensure that all reasonable measures required for the mitigation and preservation of evidence are being taken and you must report them to SIXT.
- This is why you need to reach out to the SIXT share customer service by phone at the accident scene. Do not leave the accident scene without having done so.
- The rental contract will, in the case of an accident or a new damage, be terminated only after the proper return of the vehicle. If the vehicle is in no roadworthy condition due to the accident the rental contract ends upon consultation with SIXT when handing over the car to the towing company.
- You must forward a written accident report to the SIXT customer service or alternatively completely fill in the damage form provided by SIXT - ideally with photos of all damages and of the accident scene. Please indicate the police file number.
Make sure to familiarize yourself with the detailled procedure in case of an accident in our T&C.
What is my financial responsibility in the event of an accident?
The price of every SIXT share journey includes protection (Loss Damage Waiver) which limits your financial responsibility to €950. You can further decrease your financial responsibility to €450 or €0 by selecting the respective protection option.
What protection options are available for SIXT share?
The minute, hourly and daily rates for all SIXT share vehicles already include the Loss Damage Waiver and theft protection. Without additional protection options, customers are financially responsible for up to €950 per claim.
The excess can be reduced to either €450 or €0 per claim by selecting the respective protection option in the SIXT app.
Our current options can be found below:
- Basic: excess, in the event of damage, is reduced to €450. Pricing for Basic protection starts at 4 cents per minute*.
Example: When you use a car, in the most economical vehicle category, for 20 minutes, you only pay €0.80 (20 x €0.04).
- Smart: with this option, your excess is reduced to €0. Pricing for Smart protection starts at 8 cents per minute*. This option will get you from A to B with the least stress.
Example: When you use a car, in the most economical vehicle category, for 20 minutes, you only pay €1.60 (20 x €0.08).
Booking one of our protection options is a small price to pay to ensure peace of mind. To make sure that you always have the same level of protection, and elminate the risk of paying €950 per claim in the event of damage, we recommend saving your preferred protection option for future trips.
Hourly and daily protection options
Good news! We offer hourly and daily protection options for those who would like to be on the road for a longer period of time. Due to this, if you book an hourly or daily package for the car, you will be given the corresponding protection options. In other words, it will no longer be possible to book protection on a per-minute basis when you have selected an hourly or daily package for the car. The best part about this change: you save on protection every time in addition to knowing the price upfront.
Example: You booked a 6-hour package for a SIXT share car. If you choose the corresponding Basic protection, you will only pay €10* instead of the €14.40 you would have paid for the minute price (€0.04/min). If you choose the corresponding Smart protection, your will only pay €19* instead of €28.80 (€0.08/min) for protection during the entire 6-hour period.
Please note that unused minutes cannot be refunded. After the booked package has expired, you will be billed at the minute rate. You can find a complete overview of rates directly in the SIXT app.
*Pricing for our “Basic” and “Smart” protection options are dependent on the selected rental rate, vehicle category and the value of the vehicles in those categories. The prices shown in the above examples refer vehicles in the "Economy" category (e.g. Renault Zoë). When booking a vehicle in the SIXT app, the correct price for the protection options will be clearly listed.
Why does pricing for SIXT share protection options vary?
The prices for our "Basic" and "Smart" protection options vary depending on the rental rate and value of the vehicles in the selected vehicle category. When booking a vehicle in the SIXT app, the correct pricing for your chosen vehicle, will be clearly listed.
How can I book the SIXT share protection option?
Book a protection option in the SIXT app by selecting your preferred option under "Protection" when booking your car with SIXT share. To make sure that you always have the same level of protection, we recommend saving your preferred protection option for future trips.
Please note that it is only possible to add the protection option before opening the vehicle.
Can I use my own car insurance with SIXT share?
No, private car insurance cannot be used for SIXT share vehicles.