One of the most popular road trips in the United States happens on the coast of just one state: sunny California. The 400-mile drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles is one of the most scenic routes that you can enjoy smooth sailing all the way down the west coast in your rental car. There are not many things in this world that beat cruising down the Pacific Coast Highway with the wind in your hair and the sun cascading through your window. Throw your sun shades on and take advantage of the beautiful year-round weather that California provides. Make use of an affordable Sixt rental with all the extras and advantages of Sixt services. Our sedans are complete with every option making your trip an easy rolling wave of relaxing and excitement. If you’re looking for more dazzle in your vacation, we also carry a wide selection of hand-picked convertibles and premium cars in our fleet to satisfy your needs.
Driving from SF to LA: some helpful traveling suggestions
- Check out Fisherman’s Wharf, Union Square, and the famous China Town in San Francisco, bustling with culture and history. See the birthplace of the state of California and a huge city and thriving industry that the 49’ers laid the foundation for 160 years ago.
- Travel down the coast and make your first stop at Monterey Bay. There you can see the Monterey Bay Aquarium, see the beautiful beaches northern California has to offer and go dolphin and whale watching!
- Make your way down to Big Sur State Park, also the home of Pebble Beach which is considered the most beautiful 18-hole course in the world. See the huge cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean and see the beautiful rock formation eroded over hundreds of years by the crashing waves on Pfeiffer Beach. Set up camp in the forest or book a lodge to stay with friends and family to have California’s best hiking and biking routes right at your convenience!
- After you drive down the famous Bixby Bridge, we suggest your next stop be Pismo Beach in central California! There you can go fishing for the huge Pismo Clams (Only in certain seasons) and drive your vehicle directly onto the beach to get to the famous Pismo sand dunes. There you can rent ATV’s, dirt bikes, and trucks to fly up and down the dunes for some thrilling joyrides!
- When you’re done with your adventure in the dunes, drive to Madonna Inn close by, which offers a very nice and peaceful setting between the green hills of San Luis Obispo. Be ready for a sweet surprise because every single room has its own theme and is different from the next! Be careful though, this hotel is highly sought out, so you must make a reservation weeks and sometimes months in advance.
- We suggest Santa Barbara to be your last stop before your arrival in Los Angeles. There you can see the relaxed California student life and the bumping nightlife on the beach. You can see students cruising down Del Playa Drive in Isla Vista with longboards and cruisers and enjoy the beach simply a hop and a skip down from the road.
- Finally, you’re in LA. Apart from the obvious destinations like the Hollywood sign, Walk of Fame, and Disneyland, enjoy the lesser known parts that the locals enjoy in their everyday life. Go to Koreatown to see the culture that Koreans have integrated into everyday life including nightlife, karaoke, and Korean BBQ. Head to the famous Park’s BBQ for the best Korean barbecue in all of California and arguably in the states. Look for a Kogi truck anywhere in the city, a cruising cuisine of Mexican-Korean fusion. Enjoy the burritos, enchiladas, and chimichangas at El Tepeyac Café. For more American style food, try Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles, or Steampunk Café for the best chicken and waffles you’ve ever had in your life. Last but not least, visit the sandy beaches near LA: Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, Manhattan Beach, and Redondo Beach are Sixt’s favorites.
Drop your car off at any of our 5 convenient locations when you’re done with your one-way car rental road trip. If you’re flying out of LA, we have a location just 10 minutes by courtesy shuttle to make your transition to your flight seamless.
Passionate about travel, Katie likes to eat her way through as many different countries as possible.