• Emergency phone numbers: 117 for the police, 144 for an ambulance.
• Drivers approaching a traffic jam on highways are recommended to switch on the hazard warning lights.
• Overnight stays in public parking areas are allowed but camping is not. Please note any additional parking regulations indicated by signs.
• Using, operating or holding of mobile phones is prohibited while the engine is running and/or vehicle is moving.
• Right of way: In the absence of a traffic sign or traffic light at an intersection/crossroads, the vehicle entering from the right has the right of way.
• Overtaking: Passing on the right lane is prohibited. Use the left lane and return to the right lane as soon as it is safe to do so.
• Turning right on red is not allowed. It is only allowed when sign #25 is present.
• Gas/petrol station: Stop at the needed pump. Fill up your car and then see the cashier. Diesel is available at all gas stations.
• Swiss police officers are very helpful. Don’t hesitate to ask them for assistance.
• In periods of traffic congestion: always leave the mandatory rescue lane free. This lane may be needed for ambulance and/ or police – blocking this lane can result in a fine.
• Most motorways have electronic displays providing information on the latest traffic conditions, speed limits, traffic jams, accidents.
• In Switzerland the daytime running light is compulsory. This means that you may not drive a motor vehicle without having the lights turned on.
• When you travel to other countries, please check if you need a road tax sticker. Entering a motorway without the sticker can lead to heavy fines.
• 50 kph (30 mph) in town
• 80 kph (50 mph) outside of town
• 120 kph (75 mph) on highways
• A speed limit of 50 kph (30mph) applies to all roads when fog, snow or rain reduces visibility less than 50 meters. The speed must be adapted accordingly when visibility is further reduced.
Make sure you carry your driver’s license with you at all times.
Choose your rental car from the fantastic selection below and drive away in style and comfort on your next trip.