As early as possible before your move:
- If you rent your current property, allow enough time to give notice to your current landlord. You will find further information in your lease.
- Over the years you generally collect broken or unwanted items in the cellar, the attic or the garage.
- Don’t forget to dispose of these items before you leave, and recycle where you can.
- Prepare a list of items that you will be taking with you.
- If needed, apply for a parking permit for your van or truck.
3 weeks before the move:
- You should contact the following and advise them of your moving date and new address: employer, DVLA, tax office, bank, credit card companies, loan providers, insurance, telephone provider, mobile telephone provider, television provider, cable/satellite company, doctors, dentist, opticians, vet, school, library, gym and any other social groups, subscriptions, professional bodies.
- Get everything you need to pack your items: Boxes, parcel tape, large bags, sheets and perhaps old newspapers.
1 week before the move:
- Inform neighbours and other tenants about your move so that they are prepared for any possible noise.
- Spare young children and animals the stress of the move by arranging for them to stay with family or friends.
- Ask around to find people willing to help you move.
1 to 3 days before the move:
- Block a parking site for your Sixt vehicle.
- Keep any tools handy that you may need for your move - screwdriver, hammer etc.
- Collect your reserved van or truck from your local Sixt branch.
- Arrange with your helpers how you want to organise the move and how the vehicle should be loaded.
- You can get further tips on how to organise your move on our Moving Tips page.
- Remember to think about feeding your helpers - moving makes for hungry work!
When moving there are plenty of people to contact and things to do.
Here is a list of what you can do before your move.