If your next trip involves driving in Norway, which makes for a perfect vacation, you may want to brush up on the rules of the road to make your journey complication-free.
Rules and Regulations
Here are some rules, regulations and driving tips that you should know before you start your road trip in Norway:
- When driving in Norway remember that you have to drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- Seat belts are required for everyone in the car.
- All children must be firmly strapped in using approved safety seats that match their age, size, and weight. Children under 135 centimeters (4 feet 5 inches) must have their own seat or safety restraint. Children over 80 pounds (36 kg), or 135 centimeters, can use a normal seat.
- There are severe penalties for drunk driving in Norway so please be aware of the rules. The legal limit is 20 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood.
- Use of cell phones while driving in Norway is prohibited.
- Third-party insurance is compulsory and green cards are highly recommended. Without it, visitors with car insurance in their own countries are allowed only the minimum legal cover. The green card tops this up to the level of cover provided by your own policy.
- You must have a visibility vest in your car.
The speed limits in Norway may vary according to road conditions and construction, but those that are signposted are generally as follows:
|Residential areas||50 km/h (31 mph)|
|Built-up areas||50 km/h (31 mph)|
|Expressways||90-100 km/h (56-62 mph)|
Rely on SIXT for your Car Rental Needs in Norway
Because Norway is a vast country with a long coastline its best to have a car rental to help you navigate with ease and to see each stunning location along the way. With SIXT you can be certain to have a reliable vehicle to help you along the way through your journey. We have stations at all major travel hubs and airports, in cities such as Oslo, Bergen, and Stavanger. Our large fleet of vehicles includes sedans, hatchbacks, SUVs and more. You can customize your rental with additional equipment to make it suitable for any trip you want to take.