It’s always a good idea to know important rules of the road when in another country, and that’s why we’ve compiled these driving tips for Denmark. You can learn some of the general rules and regulations, speed limits, what to carry with you, and what to see on your trip. You can use these tips to stay safe in your SIXT car rental in Denmark.
Rules and Regulations
Here are some rules and driving tips that you should know before you start your road trip in Denmark:
- When driving in Denmark remember that you have to drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- Seatbelts must be worn at all times by all occupants when traveling in a car.
- You must be 17 or older and hold a valid driver’s license to drive in Denmark.
- If the level of alcohol in the bloodstream exceeds 0.05%, there will be severe penalties including license suspension, fines or imprisonment.
- Your headlights must always be switched on and set to dipped beam even in the daytime.
- Third-party insurance is required.
- The use of mobile phones is prohibited while driving in Denmark.
- Generally, there is a duty to give way to traffic approaching from the right. A bold line, a line of white triangles (shark’s teeth) painted across the road, or a white triangle with a red border indicates that you must stop and give way to traffic on the road you are entering.
The standard speed limits for private vehicles without trailers when driving in Denmark are as follows, except when varied by sign:
|Within city limits||50 km/h (31 mph)|
|Outside city limits||80-90 km/h (49-55 mph)|
|Highways and freeways||110-130 km/h (68-80 mph)|
|In Copenhagen city center||40 km/h (24 mph)|
What to Bring With When Driving in Denmark
- A red warning triangle is required in case of an accident or breakdown.
- Spiked tires may be used between November 1 and April 15. They must be on all 4 wheels.
- It is recommended that drivers equip their vehicle with a fire extinguisher and a first-aid kit. While not required, carrying a reflective jacket to be used in the event of the driver having to step out of the vehicle in an emergency or breakdown situation is recommended.
SIXT rent a car has a number of branches in Denmark including most major cities and airports. If you are traveling to Denmark and using our car rental service your first port of call might be the capital city of Copenhagen. When in Copenhagen you might want to go to Tivoli Gardens, one of the oldest amusement parks in the world. Make sure you visit Christiania a hippie community set up in 1971 on an abandoned military area containing lots of amazing paintings and sculptures. With your rental car, you can drive to Rundentaarn, a unique tower where you can get a great view of the city and also visit the botanical gardens for a great collection of plants and flowers.