Home >> Driving Tips >> New Jersey
Driving in New Jersey can vary from other states so please read Sixt’s driving tips below in case you are unsure about the road rules of the state.
Please make sure that you have read and understood the following driving tips in New Jersey before you start your journey.
- Always keep to the right except when passing.
- Passing on the right is only allowed when you are driving on a road with more than 1 lane going in the same direction, if the vehicles on the roadway are moving in two or more continuous lines or when the motorist ahead is making a left turn. Never pass on the right shoulder of the road.
- You should not pass another vehicle when you are on a hill or a curve or at any time you cannot see far enough ahead, at a street crossing or intersection, at a railroad crossing, on a narrow bridge or in an underpass or tunnel.
- All front-seat occupants of passenger vehicles are required to wear a seat belt.
- The child restraint law requires every passenger between the ages of eight and 18 to use a seat belt–regardless of where they are seated in the vehicle
- Children eight years and younger who weigh less than 80 pounds must be buckled into an approved car or booster seat.
- Rules on drink driving are as follows. It is illegal for anyone to have a blood alcohol content of 0.8 percent or higher.
- It is illegal to use your cell phone whilst driving unless you have a hands free device.
- A single solid white line across a road at an intersection means that a motorist must stop behind the line for a traffic signal or sign.
- A right turn on a red is allowed if you have come to a complete stop unless prohibited by a sign.
- All vehicles must stop for school buses at least 25 feet away on any public or private road or parking lot when a bus uses its flashing red lights or when it has stopped.
- New Jersey law requires motorists to yield to pedestrians.
- Headlights must be used between 1 – half hour after sunset and 1 – half hour before sunrise. Headlights must also be used when visibility is 500 feet or less, when you are using windshield wipers due to rain, snow and ice or when encountering fog or mist or other factors that reduce visibility.
Please have your driver’s license with you at all times.
Now that you have read the guide to driving tips in New Jersey that Sixt has provided you can start planning your road trip.
The state of New Jersey has many attractions that can be reached by car. You might want to visit Long Beach Island if you want to relax on one of its stunning beaches. You could also drive to Jersey City and visit Liberty state park or the Liberty science center. If you travel to Atlantic City you can go to the AC 3-D Light Show, Absecon Lighthouse or one of its many casino’s. Sixt also has a number of branches in many other states including, Florida, Georgia, Connecticut and Massachusetts.
Sixt Rental Car Company offers many different rental options for the everyday traveler, families, businessmen and military personnel. If you're looking for fast, reliable and affordable car rental services, Sixt is sure to have exactly that and much more.
No matter what type of vehicle you're looking for, rentals can be booked in advance or upon arrival to provide you with reliable transportation when you need it the most.