If you want to drive a new-model car that you can’t afford to buy, you might consider long term car rental or leasing. There are pros and cons to each option, which we will go over here. Whether you are looking at cruising down the road in a new sports car or need an SUV to use for a year or less, a long term rental or leasing could be right for you.
Long Term Car Rental Pros and Cons
Maybe you need a car for several months for work or an extended trip in another country, but don’t want to be locked into a fixed contract. If that’s the case, then you should look at a long term rental. Keep in mind that most companies offering long term rentals have a maximum number of consecutive days that you can rent for. If you think you need a vehicle for longer than that, then leasing or another option is likely better for you. Check out the great long term rental offers from SIXT rent a car.
Long term rental pros
- Flexibility: rent for as long or short of time as you need.
- Drive a new-model car
- Booking is often as easy as a regular car rental
- You can usually change your car during the rental period if you want to.
- You can call customer service if you have any issues with the car.
- Ideal for those needing a car long term in a foreign country
Long term rental cons
- The cost can be higher than leasing, depending on the length of the rental.
Leasing Pros and Cons
Typically you would lease a car if you need one for a longer period of time – 2 years or more in general. It is possible to do a short-term lease, like if you are traveling domestically or internationally for business, although not as common. Here are some of the plusses and minuses of leasing a car.
- Low costs for maintenance; most are covered by the lease
- Drive a new vehicle without making a down payment
- It can be more cost-effective to lease if you need a car for more than 1 year
- You have to make a payment every month for the duration of your lease
- Mileage limits might be difficult to stick to if you drive a lot
- If you need a car long term in a foreign country, leasing is likely not possible