When you rent a car for the first time you probably have a lot of questions about the process, requirements, and documents you need to bring along. In this useful guide, we will show you how to easily rent a car and get the best value. It will make your car rental process as quick as possible so you can enjoy the time at your destination. There are some things you should know before getting to the Sixt counter to pick up your rental car.
Follow These Simple Steps to Easily Rent a Car:
Step 1: What to Do Before Booking
If you are prepared and know what you want out of your rental car experience, you can avoid costly or unexpected surprises. With a little bit of research and thinking ahead you can save time and money.
- Book as early as possible to save money, as the prices will be cheaper than booking the week before. It also means you can choose from a broader selection of vehicles at your desired location – especially during peak travel times.
- Sign up for the SixtFlash newsletter for the latest discounts and special offers.
- Save up to 25% by prepaying for your rental.
- Pick up your car at a non-airport branch near your destination. You will often get a better rate, even after you factor in taking a cab from the airport to the branch.
- Research the kinds of protection options you will need for your trip.
Step 2: What to Know When Booking Your Rental Car
The easiest way to reserve a vehicle with us is online or with our app. If you have any questions at all during the booking, it’s best to visit our FAQ section that answers the most-asked questions. It’s best to do some research and make some decisions about car protection, which extras and add-ons you would like, and how you would like to pay before getting to the counter. In fact, it’s easiest to select these options when booking.
- Know what kind of car you would like based on how many people you will be transporting and if you have any specific requests. The trunk of many vehicles is surprisingly small, so when going on an extended vacation or traveling with a group, look at booking a larger vehicle for the extra luggage space. It’s also worth considering the terrain, as an outdoor trip may benefit from an SUV.
- Consider whether you need to add an additional driver, a prepaid tank of gas, or GPS.
- If you are younger than 25, think about having an older passenger (if applicable) rent the car to avoid the young driver surcharge.
- Choose a drop off time that is a bit later than you are expecting to return the vehicle. That way, if you run into traffic or encounter other delays, you will not be charged a late return fee.
- You will also need to consider your payment method. If you choose to pay in advance, you will need to have a credit or debit card to book your prepaid car rental online and will also need to present it when picking up. When using a credit card, it needs to be issued in the driver’s name, and if a debit card is used you will need to show additional proof of address at pickup. Find out more about the accepted payment methods.
Step 3: How to Pick up a Rental Car
There are some important documents you will need to show when arriving at a Sixt counter. And in some cases you can choose which car you get before even getting there.
- You will need a valid driver’s license and credit or debit card issued in your name in order to get the keys to your rent a car. If you are paying with a debit card, you will need to show two forms of proof of address, as well as a return airline ticket or a roundtrip itinerary if you’re renting out of state. If you’re an international renter, you’ll need an additional form of government-issued ID, such as a passport.
- With the Sixt app, you can choose an available vehicle from your selected category 30 minutes before your scheduled pickup.
Step 4: How to Drop Off a Rental Car
- Return the vehicle with a full tank of gas to avoid extra charges. It’s best to search for a gas station near the car rental branch ahead of time to avoid last minute panic. And don’t forget to keep your receipt!
- Factor in possible traffic jams and plan to arrive 30 minutes early when you return the rental car.
What Documents Do you Need to Rent a Car?
When you rent a car, you need to bring the following documents:
- A valid driver’s license. Driver’s licenses printed with non-Roman Alphabet (Arabic, Japanese, Cyrillic, etc) must be accompanied by an international driving license.
- If you rent with a debit card, you will need to show a third form of ID that proves your address, e.g. a utility bill, when you’re an in-state renter. If you’re an out-of-state renter, then a return flight or trip itinerary needs to be shown.
- If you prepay, the same card used needs to be presented when the rental vehicle is picked up.