Driving in Cyprus can vary from the United States. We help you get up to speed on some rules and regulations, speed limits, and other things you should know before you get behind the wheel.
Rules and Regulations
Here are some rules and driving tips when driving in Cyprus that you need to know before your road trip:
- In Cyprus, they drive on the left-hand side of the road and overtake on the right.
- Everyone in the car is required to wear a seat belt.
- Children under 5 cannot travel in the front seat. Children over 5 and under 10 must use a suitable child restraint system.
- Eating and drinking while driving is prohibited.
- The maximum legal level of alcohol in the blood is 0.049%. Those suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol (0.05% and over) may be subject to a blood test.
- Vehicle headlights must be used between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise.
- Smoking in a car with a person that is under 16 years old is prohibited and is subject to a fine.
- Speaking on a mobile phone while driving is a serious offense.
- All national driver’s licenses are accepted and the minimum age for driving is 18 years of age.
- It is prohibited to use your car horn between 10 pm and 6 am, and in the vicinity of hospitals.
- Spiked tires and snow chains are permitted on mountain roads in winter.
Speed Limits in Cyprus
These are the standard legal limits when driving in Cyprus, but pay attention to road signs as they may vary depending on the town or region.
|Within city limits||50-65 km/h (31-40 mph)|
|Outside city limits||80 km/h (50 mph)|
|On expressways and highways||100 km/h (62 mph)|
What to Bring Along
- Driver’s license
- Proof of insurance
- Two warning triangles are required and can be placed on the roadway in the event of an accident or breakdown.
- Vehicle registration information
- A GPS device and road map of the area that you are driving in can be extremely helpful.
Rely on SIXT Rent a Car for Your Road Trip in Cyprus
When traveling to Cyprus for a family vacation, road trip, or weekend getaway, a reliable SIXT car rental can be the perfect mode of transport to get you around the island and its many destinations. Should you have any more questions about the rules of the road in Cyprus, our branch staff will be happy to help! You can find us in all major cities, airports, and transportation hubs, with branches at Paphos, Larnaca, Limassol, and more.