To rent a car with Sixt in the USA and most countries, you must:
- Be aged 21 or over
- Have a valid driver's license
- Have a valid debit or credit card.
- Drivers under the age of 25 will also need to pay a Young Driver Surcharge.
Unlike other car rental companies, we don't require you to have held your driving license for a minimum of one year when you rent in the US, so as soon as you've got your valid driving license, you can rent straight away with Sixt!
Underage Driver Fee
The Young Driver Surcharge is a fee that will be applied for rentals to drivers under the age of 25 and this varies depending on state of the rental. You will shown how much you will be charged during the online booking process or at our branches across the US.
If you are looking to rent a car abroad on vacation, the rental age differs per country. In some European countries, it is possible to rent a car from the age of 18. Make sure you are aware of the renting age in each country by viewing our rental information, and selecting the country you intend on visiting.
We have a versatile selection of rental cars are available to those under 25, each one is of the highest quality and generally replaced every six months. As a young driver, you can choose from compact sedans or convertibles and SUVs to minivans. Find out more about the available categories below.
If you are between the ages of 21 to 25, the following categories are available to you:
- E*** e.g. Hyundai Accent, Chevrolet Spark
- CC**, CF** and CL** e.g. Toyota Yaris iA, Toyota Prius
- IC**, IF** e.g. Chevrolet Equinox, Mini Countryman
- SC**, SV** e.g. Toyota Corolla, Volkswagen Jetta
- FC** e.g. Chevrolet Malibu, Toyota Camry, Chevrolet Impala
- MV** - minivan e.g. Mercedes-Benz Metris, Dodge Grand Caravan