All major credit cards – American Express, Diners Club, MasterCard, Discover, Visa, and Airplus.
Debit cards – Debit cards may be accepted at select location’s on SIXT’s discretion if they have two forms of government-issued identification, available funds, and one of the following criteria are met:
- The renter presents the return airline ticket/roundtrip flight itinerary upon pick-up and is not a resident of the state of pickup.
- Out-of-state renters may use a debit card, but may not rent any premium, luxury, or extraordinary vehicles.
- In-state renters presents two recent, and original, utility bills that match the name and address on the driver’s license used. Photo copies, printouts, and digital images are not permitted, and these bills must be no more than three months old. Also, in-state renters may not rent with a debit card at an airport location and may only rent ECAR, CCAR, or ICAR categories.
What is NOT accepted as a form of payment?
- Pre-paid cards
- Visa Electron cards
- Electronic use only cards
- Maestro cards
The amount that will be authorized includes the rental price as well as all additional charges and extras.
If you have any further questions, please email us at customerservice-USA@sixt.com or call our contact center at +1 888 749 8227.
Still in doubt? Check our video tutorial to know more about our accepted payment methods by clicking here.
Yes, Sixt offers prepaid rates as well as pay-on-arrival (flexible) rates. Fees do apply upon cancellation and amendment of prepaid reservations. Also, the name on the card used to pay must match the name on the reservation.
You can cancel your reservation either by logging onto ‘My Sixt’ or contacting our USA reservations team; firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to use a company card the name listed on the method of payment must match that of the primary renter listed on the reservation and rental agreement. Sixt also offers corporate accounts with direct billing. For more information please visit our corporate enrolment page.
In general, credit card authorization of a minimum of $200 plus the amount due for the rental will be taken as an authorization for security purposes. The authorization will be higher for specialty vehicles. For debit cards a deposit of $200 plus the cost of the rental will be taken. These funds will not be available to you during the rental.
The rental location may also perform a credit check or may require additional qualifications in accordance to local policies to determine whether the renter qualifies for a rental of a luxury vehicle. The renter must meet the minimum criteria determined by the location to qualify.
Note: Depending on the banking institution the amount is not immediately debited but held on the cardholder’s bank account until the final rental charge amount has been debited. When the vehicle is returned, the invoiced amount will be charged to the credit card provided, unless you (the renter) present another form of payment.
- Local Renters* with a debit card may need additional documentation and can only rent MCAR, ECAR, CCAR, and ICAR.
- Non-local renters with a debit card can also rent SCAR, FCAR, CTAR, STAR, IFAR, SFAR, FFAR, MVAR, FVAR and Cargo Vans.
- Debit card rentals are not allowed for long term rentals (defined as 28 days or longer).
An approval is an amount held on your credit card, and may be used for the deposit. This amount will show as a pending amount on your card until the rental is completed. Once the rental is complete then the deposit will be released to your card.
Please allow up to 10 business days for the funds to clear and become available in your account.
No, the credit card holder who is paying for the booking has to be the main driver, as this will be stated on the Rental Agreement. Please refer to Sixt Prepaid Terms and Conditions.
For luxury and special vehicles, payment must be made using a major credit card only. Also, a second credit card would have to be presented upon pick-up.
*Weehawken Port Imperial does not accept debit cards.