A day trip to the Cradle of Humankind is highly recommended. At this UNESCO listed World Heritage Site you can partake in a number of activities. Take a tour through the Sterkfontein Caves or learn more about the origins of humankind at the exhibitions found at the Maropeng Visitor Centre.
Distance to Cradle of Humankind
- From O.R. Tambo International Airport via N3: 44 miles, about 1 hour and 25 minutes
- From Lanseria International Airport via R540: 12.5 miles, about 30 minutes
- From Johannesburg Park Station via N1: 41 miles, about 1 hour and 15 minutes
- From Johannesburg Sandton via M5: 28.4 miles, about 1hour and 20 minutes
A trip to South Africa is not complete without a visit to one of its amazing game or nature reserves. From Johannesburg you can take a weekend trip Sun City and visit the nearby 150,000 acre Pilanesberg National Park, also called the Pilanesberg Game Reserve. Here you have the chance for all kinds of birding and wildlife viewing, including the opportunity to spot the Big Five. This incredible reserve, centered on the caldera of an extinct volcano, offers the chance to really get to know this unique and precious landscape.
Distance to Pilanesberg National Park
- From O.R. Tambo International Airport via R512/R556: 119 miles, about 2 hours and 20 minutes
- From Johannesburg Sandton via R512/R556: 108 miles, about 2 hours and 35 minutes
- From Johannesburg Roodepoort via R24: 94 miles, about 2 hours and 10 minutes