The Santa Cruz region is best known for the peaks and glaciers of Los Glaciares National Park and it is so much easier to plan road trips and outings with your own rental vehicle to hand. While the region is popular with hikers and trekkers, it also appeals to photography and art enthusiasts who come for the unique light and stunning scenery. While the Perito Moreno glacier is undoubtedly a highlight of any visit to El Calafate, popular alternative road trip destinations include El Chalten and the Reserva Laguna Nimez which is a must for wildlife fans. Los Glaciares National Park is one of Argentina's most visited places and it is known for dramatic ice fields and glaciers, including the spectacular Perito Moreno.
Distance to Perito Moreno, Los Glaciares National Park
- From El Calafate city center: 50 miles via RP11, about 70 minutes
- From El Calafate Airport: 63 miles via RP11, about 80 minutes
El Chalten is well worth the drive from El Calafate and it is a great place for a weekend getaway. The town is known for its superb lakeside location and the rugged Fitz Roy mountain.
Distance to El Chalten
- From El Calafate city center: 132 miles via RN40/ RN23, about 3 hours 18 minutes
- From El Calafate Airport: 124 miles via RN40/ RN23, about 3 hours 9 minutes
You can also make shorter trips in one of our comfortable rental cars and the Laguna Nimez Nature Reserve is an excellent option. No visit to Argentina is complete without seeing some of the region's amazing birds and the lakeside park is home to hundreds of species including indigenous swans and flamingos.
- From El Calafate city center: 3.2 miles via RP11, about 10 minutes
- From El Calafate Airport: 13 miles via RP1, about 22 minutes