Minnesota Toll Roads | Calculate Toll Prices
Find all of the toll roads and tunnel tolls in Minnesota below, get to know the costs, distance and where each toll road is in Minnesota. Click on the black dots below to see all of the information about each toll road.
- Toll Road Name: MnPass, Minnesota
- On Which Highways: Interstate 94, Interstate 35W, and Interstate 394
- Connecting Cities: Express lanes in the Minneapolis metro region
- Cost of the Toll Road: Fixed variable rate based on current traffic conditions $8 max - $0.25 min
- Distance of the Toll Road: I-394 east segment consists of 11 miles /17.7 km I-35W segment consists of 16 miles/25.7km
- How to pay: MnPass
- History: The I-35W MnPASS Express Lanes opened September 30th, 2009 and the I-394 MnPASS Express Lanes opened May 16, 2005.
- How to Use: There are two segments of the I-394 MnPASS Lane; the segment west of Hwy 100 and the reversible section east of Hwy 100 into downtown Minneapolis. Likewise, there are two segments of the I-35W MnPASS Lane; the diamond lane south of I-494 and the Northbound Shoulder Lane beginning at 38th Street. When the sign reads OPEN anyone with or without a transponder can use the MnPASS Express Lane without being charged a fee. The tolled hours of the lane will depend on the section of the road. • Northbound from Crystal Lake Road to Hwy 62 is tolled from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.• Northbound from Hwy 62 to downtown is tolled from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.• Southbound from 42nd Street to I-494 is tolled from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.• Southbound from I-494 to Hwy 13 is tolled from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.During off-peak hours the road is not tolled and the lane is open to all traffic. The exception on I-35W is the northbound section from around 42nd Street to downtown. This section of the road there will be a shoulder lane that will always be tolled whenever it is open. Reversible lanes east of Hwy 100 to downtown Minneapolis:• Eastbound: In operation from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. Closed 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. for directional change• Westbound: In operation from 2 p.m. to 5 a.m. Closed 5 a.m. to 6 a.m. for directional change• On weekends the lanes will be switched back to the east at 11 a.m. on Saturday. Hours may be adjusted for special events. Westbound I-394 west of Hwy 100:• Monday through Friday, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. The lane will open to general traffic the rest of the day and on weekends. Eastbound I-394 west of Hwy 100:• Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. The lane will open to general traffic the rest of the day and on weekends. NOTE due to a shortage of toll reading equipment no new MnPass customers can sign up between until late March/April 2015.
- When to Use: MnPASS Express Lanes are designed for solo drivers who will opt to pay for faster and smoother travels. Small, two-axle trucks weighing less than 26,000 pounds can also open an account and use the express lanes. Transit buses, carpools with two or more people and motorcycles can use the express lanes for free. Lanes are open to the public on weekends and during non-peak hours.