Driving in Austria
Sixt wants to make sure that you are aware of the important road safety rules and tips before you start your travels in Austria. The following tips can prove helpful but make sure to inform yourself as well.
Austrian Traffic Law and Important Signs and Rules
Driving in Austria
- Drivers approaching a traffic jam on highways are recommended to switch on the hazard warning lights.
- Overnight stays in public parking areas are allowed but camping is not. Please note any additional parking regulations indicated by signs.
- Using, operating or holding of mobile phones is prohibited while the engine is running and/or vehicle is moving.
- Right of way: In the absence of a traffic sign or traffic light at an intersection/crossroads, the vehicle entering from the right has the right of way.
- Overtaking: Passing on the right lane is prohibited. Use the left lane and return to the right lane as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Parking: when parking, respect the local regulations and check if you need a parking disk/ticket/parking meter etc.
- Turning right on red is not allowed. It is only allowed when sign #25 is present.
- Gas station: Stop at the needed pump. Fill up your car and then see the cashier. Diesel is available at all gas stations.
- Austrian police officers are very helpful. Don?t hesitate to ask them for assistance.
- In periods of traffic congestion always leave the mandatory rescue lane free. This lane may be needed for ambulance and/ or police ?blocking this lane can result in a fine.
- Most highways have electronic displays providing information on the latest traffic conditions, speed limits, traffic jams or accidents.
- When you travel to other countries, please check if you need a road tax sticker. Entering a highway without the sticker can lead to heavy fines.
Emergency phone numbers:
- 133 for the police
- 144 for an ambulance.
Speed Limits in Austria
- 30 mph in town
- 60 mph outside town
- 80 mph on highways
- A speed limit of 30 mph applies to all roads when fog, snow or rain make visibility less than 150 feet.
Things to Bring Along
Make sure you carry your driver?s license with you at all times.
Choose Sixt Car Categories For Your Perfect Drive
Choose your rental car from the fantastic selection below and drive away in style and comfort on your next trip.