Home >> Driving Tips >> Connecticut
Driving in Connecticut can be different from driving in other states so it might be a good idea to read Sixt’s driving tips and rules before you start your road trip.
Please read our list of rules and driving tips thoroughly before you start your journey in Connecticut.
- Use of cell phones is prohibited whilst you are driving.
- The limit for drink driving in Connecticut is a blood alcohol content of less than .08%
- Every driver and passenger has to wear a seat belt.
- All children under 8 years of age should use a child restraint whilst traveling in a vehicle.
- U-turns are not legal everywhere. So before you make a U-turn, check for signs prohibiting them. Never make a U-turn on an expressway. When making a U-turn, give a left turn signal, stop, check for approaching traffic. Proceed into the outside or right hand lane traveling in the opposite direction.
- The following right-of-way rules apply:
- You must obey signals given by a law enforcement officer, even if the officer’s signals contradict the traffic signal.
- Drivers must yield the right-of-way at all times to pedestrians who are in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
- Pedestrians using a guide dog or carrying a white cane have absolute right-of-way. Do not use your horn because it could confuse or frighten the pedestrian.
- Drivers turning left must yield to oncoming vehicles going straight.
- Drivers entering a traffic circle or rotary must yield to drivers already in the circle.
- At an intersection where there is no stop sign, yield sign or oncoming traffic signal, drivers must yield to vehicles coming from the right.
- At a four-way stop, the driver reaching the intersection first goes first (after coming to a complete stop). If more than one vehicle arrives at the same time, the vehicle on the right goes first.
- Drivers entering a road from a driveway, alley or roadside must yield to vehicles already on the main road.
- Drivers may not enter an intersection unless they can get through it without having to stop. You should wait until traffic ahead clears so that you are not blocking the intersection.
- Drivers overtaking a vehicle traveling in the same direction must yield to that vehicle, even if the vehicle is slowing or coming to a stop.
- You must yield the right-of-way to a police vehicle, fire engine, ambulance or other emergency vehicle using a siren, air horn or a red or blue flashing light.
- When you see or hear an emergency vehicle approaching from any direction you must pull over to the right edge of the road, or as near to the right as possible, and stop your vehicle.You must remain stopped until the emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by a State or local police officer or a fire fighter. If you are in an intersection, drive through the intersection before you pull over.
- You must stop for a school bus that is stopped with its red lights flashing whether it is on your side of the road, the opposite side of the road, or at an intersection you are approaching. You are not required to stop if the bus is traveling towards you and a median or other physical barrier separates the roadway. After the school bus red lights have stopped flashing, watch for children along the side of the road and do not proceed until they have completely left the roadway and it is safe to proceed.
- You must yield the right-of-way to trains crossing the roadway
Please make sure that you have your driver’s license with you at all times whilst driving.
Sixt hope that you have read and found our driving tips useful and wishes you a pleasant trip. If you are traveling to Hartford you might want to see Wadsworth Atheneum which display over 50,000 pieces of art. Drive to the Mark Twain house and learn about the history of this famous author or go Elizabeth Park for lots of picturesque gardens. Don’t forget that we have branches in many other parts of the country including, Massachusetts, Georgia and Florida!
Sixt Rental Car Company offers many different rental options for the everyday traveler, families, businessmen and military personnel. If you're looking for fast, reliable and affordable car rental services, Sixt is sure to have exactly that and much more.
No matter what type of vehicle you're looking for, rentals can be booked in advance or upon arrival to provide you with reliable transportation when you need it the most.