If you are renting a car with Sixt within the USA, the minimum age you have to be is 21. At the age of 21 you will be able rent several categories with Sixt but you will be restricted to certain selected categories. To make sure you know which vehicles you are able to rent before you go to the rental location; go to our fleet page and click on each category and there it will tell you how old you have to be to rent that certain rental category.
If you are under the age of 25 and want to rent a car in the USA you will be charged an underage fee. The fee ranges differs per location and state. However, if you are over the age of 25 you will have no limitations on which vehicle you would like to drive if you have held your driver?s license for over one year.
Driver's have to meet the following age requirements to rent certain car groups:
- 21 years / ECAR, CCAR, ICAR, SCAR, FCAR, MVAR, SVAR, CTAR, CFAR, IFAR, CLAR
- 25 years / PCAR, LCAR, FVAR, STAR, PTAR, XTAR, SFAR, FFAR, PFAR, LFAR, XFAR, XCAR, XDAR, XCEA, PVAR, FWAR, PWAR, XSAR, PSAR, ITAR
- Driver has to be in possession of a valid driving license for at least 1 year.
- Driver's license for vehicle groups FVAR, PVAR must include an approval for category D1.
- EU citizens are allowed to drive vehicles with up to 8 passengers.
- A Young Driver Surcharge of $14.99 per day or maximum of $99.99 per rental applies for drivers under 25 years. Depending on the rental location the surcharge may vary.
Sixt Car Rental Age Restrictions Abroad
There are also young driver fees in different countries where fee depends on location and chosen vehicle. Each country has special age restrictions on different vehicles. If you would like to know the exact restriction where you are traveling - visit our rental information for each country here.
Germany Car Rental Age Restrictions
- 18 years/1 day for vehicles in groups MBMR to CWMR, MTMR, CCCC
- 21 years/2 years for vehicles in groups IDMR to LWAR, CTMR, ITMR, SSMR to LSMR, SFMR to FFMR
- 21 years/3 years for vehicles in groups M01 to M06
Spain Car Rental Age Restrictions
- 18 years/1 day for vehicles in groups MBMR to CWMR, CVMR
- 21 years/2 years for vehicles in groups IDMR to LWAR, IVMR to FVMR, CTMR, ITMR, SSMR to LSMR, SFMR
- 21 years/3 years for vehicles in groups M01, M02
France Car Rental Age Restrictions
- Minimum age requirement in France is 18 years old and the driver must have held the driving license for at least 2 years. Additional fees for drivers under 25 years old apply
Great Britain Rental Age Restrictions
- 21 years/1 year for vehicles in groups M***, E***, CB**, CD**, CF**, CL**, CW**
- 23 years/1 year for vehicles in groups ID**, IW**, IV**, IT**
- 25 years/1 year for vehicles in groups CC**, IL**, S***, F***, PD**, PW**, PF**
- 25 years/3 years for vehicles in groups COMN, CNMN
- 30 years/3 years for vehicles in groups PT**, L***, X***