Service & Info. Before your moving starts.
Simply print out the checklist below make sure you've covered your bases.
As early as possible as possible before your move:
- If you rent your current property, allow enough time to give notice to your current landlord. You will find further information in your lease.
- Over the years you generally collect broken or unwanted items in the cellar, the attic or the garage. Don’t forget to dispose of these items before you leave, and recycle where you can.
- Prepare a list of items that you will be taking with you.
- If needed, apply for a parking permit for your van or truck.
3 weeks before the move:
- You should contact the following and advise them of your moving date and new address: employer, DVLA, tax office, bank, credit card companies, loan providers, insurance, telephone provider, mobile telephone provider, television provider, cable/satellite company, doctors, dentist, opticians, vet, school, library, gym and any other social groups, subscriptions, professional bodies.
- Get everything you need to pack your items: Boxes, parcel tape, large bags, sheets and perhaps old newspapers.
1 week before the move:
- Inform neighbours and other tenants about your move so that they are prepared for any possible noise.
- Spare young children and animals the stress of the move by arranging for them to stay with family or friends.
- Ask around to find people willing to help you move.
1 to 3 days before the move:
- Block a parking site for your Sixt vehicle.
- Keep any tools handy that you may need for your move - screwdriver, hammer etc.
- Collect your reserved van or truck from your local Sixt branch.
- Arrange with your helpers how you want to organise the move and how the vehicle should be loaded. You can get further tips on how to organise your move at our Moving Tips.
- Remember to think about feeding your helpers - moving makes for hungry work!
When moving there are plenty of people to contact and things to do.
Here is a list of what you can do before your move.